Unlike other blog entries, this is a personal reflection about our experience teaching Spanish online (via Skype). Since we started with our project, we have come across people reluctant to learning a language online, that is why we want to share with you the benefits we have discovered in online teaching and learning.
- Online classes are as personal and close as on-site classes, since the teacher and the student have a conversation on Skype in real time.
- Customised classes: thanks to all the IT tools and to how easy creating and sharing materials is, in face-to-face online classes it is much easier to customise the material and adapt it to the interests of each student.
- Cost and commuting savings: we often meet students that don’t have time to go to a school to take classes. If you learn online you don’t have such a problem because there are no spatial barriers.
- Spatial and time barriers disappear: online classes offer a great timing and spatial flexibility, since both the teacher and the student can take the class from their home, working place, while traveling (you online need Internet connexion)… This makes it easier to balance the study of a new language with a job and family life.
- Easy access to all the information: the student can access the class materials from anywhere and, in addition to that, the material is free of cost.
- There is a permanent contact between teacher and student, thus, the student has constant feedback on their progress and the teacher is always available to solve doubts.
- Class contents are constantly updated and, as mentioned before, they are tailored according to the student’s needs and interests.
If you still had doubts about the efficiency of online classes, we hope we convinced you that learning a language online is as efficient, fun and personal as doing it in person.